Law Enforcement

Portland Police Will Stop Tracking Gangs

Law Officer - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 08:47

Police officers in Portland, Oregon will no longer have the means to tag known gang members with an official “gang designation.” The Portland Police Department has decided to stop identifying gang members and purge the gang member database it has developed over the last two decades.

According to The Oregonian, before this decision to change policy was made, “Police were able to add someone to the list if the person self-identified as a member of a gang, participated in a gang initiation ritual, committed a gang-related crime or displayed two or more observable signs of gang membership.”

The Daily Wire reports that community organizers in Portland have strongly expressed dissatisfaction with identifying and labeling individuals as “gang” members because they believe this has “disproportionately affected minorities.” The Sentencing Project notes that despite making up just 13% of the population in Oregon, African Americans represent 38% of the state’s penitentiary inmates. Additionally, 21% of Oregon’s prisoners are Hispanic, despite making up only 17% of the population. Known violent gangs like the Bloods, Crips, and MS-13 are not known as racially diverse groups, but rather have specific race-based identities.

Tracking gang affiliations benefits the safety of police officers and helps investigations into crime and with this decision, the work of a Portland police officer likely becomes more dangerous and hinders future investigations.

 

The post Portland Police Will Stop Tracking Gangs appeared first on Law Officer.

Categories: Law Enforcement

Grand jury clears Ohio officer in fatal OIS of knife-wielding man

Police One - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 08:36

Associated Press

TOLEDO, Ohio — A grand jury in Ohio has declined to indict a police officer in the fatal shooting of a man during an apparent domestic dispute.

The decision concerning Toledo police officer Jonathan Curtis was made Wednesday in Lucas County.

The Blade reports county prosecutors say Curtis killed 55-year-old Shane Marsh on Sept. 4 after Marsh refused numerous commands to drop a knife as he approached the officer.

Police had gone to the home after a neighbor reported hearing a woman screaming for help.

Fifty-nine-year-old Kim Bensman previously told the newspaper her argument with Marsh, her longtime boyfriend, never became physical and that he was using the knife to cut tomatoes for a BLT.

Toledo police are conducting an internal investigation to determine if Curtis, a five-year veteran, followed departmental rules.

Toledo Police have identified the officer, Jonathan Curtis, and the victim, Shane Marsh, in last night's shooting https://t.co/j9NJ1PnUnf

— The Blade (@toledonews) September 5, 2017


Categories: Law Enforcement

SP Kinderhook - Kinderhook man arrested after Domestic Incident

State - NY Police - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 08:36
Kinderhook, New York – On September 18, 2017, Troopers from the Kinderhook barracks arrested Kristopher V. Winne, age 36, of Kinderhook for Assault in the 3rd Degree, a Class A Misdemeanor, and Criminal Obstruction of Breathing or Blood Circulation, a Class A Misdemeanor following a domestic incident.
Categories: Law Enforcement

2 dead, including suspect, 1 wounded in Ala. shooting

Police One - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 08:20

Associated Press

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — Police say two people are dead and a third person wounded in north Alabama after shootings that involved police.

Huntsville police Lt. Stacy Bates says officers were responding to reports of a shooting on the city's northwest side Wednesday night when they encountered a man with a gun.

Bates tells WAFF-TV that police shot and killed the suspect. Bates said that after that happened, police found a second man dead of gunshot wounds, but that person wasn't killed by the officers.

FIRST ALERT UPDATE: 3 shot, 2 dead in NW Huntsville; suspect killed by officers https://t.co/f1D5a5iLUC pic.twitter.com/5b3TTFa8K1

— WAFF 48 (@waff48) September 21, 2017

Police also found a third man who had been shot by an unknown suspect and was taken to a hospital with minor injuries.

Bates told the station late Wednesday that police had many unanswered questions.

No other information about the officers or suspects was immediately released.


Categories: Law Enforcement

Protesters march in St. Louis suburb over fatal OIS

Police One - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 08:16

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

ST. LOUIS — Chanting "No justice, no profits" and "Shut it down," a crowd of a few hundred protesters blocked Brentwood Boulevard next to the Galleria mall late Wednesday afternoon in the latest action following last week's acquittal of a white St. Louis police officer in the shooting death of a black suspect.

The protest began forming about 5:30 p.m. The crowd, some carrying "Black Lives Matter" signs, and blocked the intersection and Brentwood Boulevard and Galleria Parkway.

The protest prompted the early closure of the Galleria, one of the St. Louis region's largest shopping malls.

The protesters were met with a heavy police presence. Officers and patrol cars formed a roadblock between the protesters and Highway 40 (Interstate 64). A busload of officers with shields and masks arrived on the scene just after 6 p.m.

At about 6:30 p.m., St. Louis County police texted media outlets that demonstrators were being asked to leave the roadway, as officials shut down Brentwood near the mall. Protesters appeared to be leaving the scene shortly before 7 p.m. Police later reported there were no arrests.

The protest marks a sixth day of demonstrations and other events in response to judge's decision finding a former St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley, who is white, not guilty of first degree murder in the shooting of drug suspect Anthony Lamar Smith, who was black, after a car chase in 2011. That decision was issued Friday.

Some protesters Wednesday chanted "For Anthony Smith and Michael Brown, shut it down, shut it down" as they shut down the intersection. Brown, 18, was shot and killed by a police officer in Ferguson in 2014, sparking violent protests and a national debate about race relations and police tactics.

Among the people standing near a line of police on Brentwood Boulevard shortly after officers had blocked access to the street was a north St. Louis County man Thomas Bradley and his 6-year-old stepson.

Bradley said he brought the little boy with him to see what was happening.

"I want him to be aware of what happened and aware of the problems out here before he gets older," he said.

The child held a sign with scribbled writing, "I want peace, nice police and toys."

Dana Emmennegger said she gave her children, ages 8 and 4, a choice to come to the protest.

"It's one thing to talk about white privilege and take about inequalities and what we're fighting for, but it's another thing to go out and be active," she said.

Emmennegger is one of the founding families of St. Louis' 'We Stories.'

———

©2017 the St. Louis Post-Dispatch


Categories: Law Enforcement

Detective Bureau

State - RI Police - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 07:30
MEDIA CONTACT: Major Dennis B. Fleming, Detective Commander (#401-444-1005) On September 20, 2017, members of the Gaming Enforcement Unit arrested Moses Fahnbulleh, age 31, of 1315 Chalkstone Avenue, Providence, Rhode Island, for the following: Four (4) counts of Casino Gaming – Cheating –...
Categories: Law Enforcement

Wickford Barracks

State - RI Police - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 06:45
Media Contact: Captain Derek Borek, District "B" Commander (401) 444-1014 No arrests to report.
Categories: Law Enforcement

Mass. court asked to dismiss cases tied to former drug lab chemist

Police One - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 06:00

Associated Press

BOSTON — A petition submitted Wednesday to the state's highest court seeks the dismissal of every case connected to a convicted former state chemist who authorities say was high almost every day she went to work at a state drug lab for eight years.

The petition was filed with the Supreme Judicial Court by the state's public defender agency, called the Committee for Public Counsel Services, and by two women whose drug possession convictions are tied to evidence handled by chemist Sonja Farak.

Farak pleaded guilty in 2014 to stealing cocaine from the state crime lab at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and was sentenced to 18 months behind bars.

The lab tested drug samples for police. Authorities said Farak was high on methamphetamines, ketamine, cocaine, LSD and other drugs during most of her time there, even when she testified in court. She worked at the lab between 2005 and 2013.

Herschelle Reaves, of Springfield, and Nicole Westcott, of Granby, say the state failed to notify them of Farak's misconduct even after her conviction, depriving them of the opportunity to challenge their convictions. The women are being represented by the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts and Boston law firm Fick & Marx LLP.

The petition takes aim at thousands of cases considered tainted because of Farak.

"Thousands of people, mostly poor, mostly of color, and many afflicted by the medical disease of drug addiction, have been harmed by the Amherst drug lab fiasco," said Ben Keehn, an attorney with the Committee for Public Counsel Services, the Boston Globe reported.

In June, Hampden County Superior Court Judge Richard Carey dismissed the convictions of seven defendants and allowed another to withdraw a guilty plea in cases connected to evidence tested by Farak.

A spokeswoman with the attorney general's office said it has been working with district attorneys and other parties to "provide appropriate relief" to the thousands of criminal defendants impacted by Farak's misconduct.

"The ACLU and CPCS were well aware of these efforts, but chose to file this petition anyway," said Jillian Fennimore. "We welcome their input as we move forward to provide the swift resolution that Farak defendants deserve."

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan, the president of the Massachusetts District Attorneys Association, said Wednesday's filing was not unexpected.

"We take this responsibility very seriously and are working to ensure that all defendants who may have been adversely affected are identified," Ryan said. "Every district attorney's office has already been actively engaged in identifying cases that may have been impacted, and we are currently in the process of reviewing all affected cases to reach a resolution as expeditiously as possible."


Categories: Law Enforcement

Defense: Man accused of terror plot an 'idiot,' not fighter

Police One - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 06:00

By Alanna Durkin Richer Associated Press

BOSTON — A man accused of participating in a plot to behead conservative blogger Pamela Geller became consumed by Islamic State group propaganda because he was overweight, lonely and desperate for an escape from his bleak life, his defense attorney said Wednesday.

Federal authorities say David Wright conspired with his uncle and a third man to kill Geller on behalf of the terrorist group because they were upset she organized a Prophet Muhammad cartoon contest in Texas. The plot was never carried out. Wright also wanted to conduct other attacks in the U.S. and encouraged his uncle to kill police officers, officials say.

Wright's attorney told jurors during her opening statement he was never really interested in helping the Islamic State group or committing violence. When Wright was allegedly plotting with the other men, he weighed more than 500 pounds, lived with his mother and had no career, Jessica Hedges said.

In the online world of the Islamic State group, he found the attention he was craving and the ability to pretend he was someone else, she said. He was a "complete idiot," but he is not guilty, she said.

"In 2015, David felt very, very fat, very failed, and was living in a world of fantastical ideas," Hedges told jurors at the federal courthouse in Boston. "He hid behind screens, looking for an escape, looking for a distraction from who he really was."

Wright, 28, is charged with obstruction of justice, conspiring to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization and conspiring to commit acts of terrorism transcending national boundaries. He could face up to life in prison if convicted.

Prosecutors attempted to portray Wright as the ringleader of the conspiracy, arguing he recruited his uncle Ussamah Rahim, of Boston, and another man, Nicholas Rovinski, of Warwick, Rhode Island, to help him commit attacks.

The three men agreed to kill Geller in the summer of 2015 after the cartoon contest in suburban Dallas, prosecutors say. During the contest, two other men opened fire outside and wounded a security guard before they were killed in a shootout with law enforcement assigned to guard the event.

In May of that year, Wright met with Rahim and Rovinski for more than two hours on a secluded Rhode Island beach and discussed plans to kill Geller, according to the indictment.

Days later, Rahim told Wright he couldn't wait to attack Geller and decided instead to go after "those boys in blue," referring to police, Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephanie Siegmann told jurors.

Wright, of Everett, encouraged his uncle to attack police and die as a "martyr," she said. He also instructed Rahim to destroy his cellphone and wipe all the data from his computer, Siegmann said. Hours later, Rahim was approached by officers in a Boston parking lot and was fatally shot after he pulled out a knife and moved toward them, officials say.

Authorities say Rahim received instructions about the plot to kill Geller from Junaid Hussain, an Islamic State member and hacker who was later killed in an airstrike in Syria. Rahim then passed along Hussain's instructions to Wright, prosecutors say.

Wright wanted to wage other attacks in the U.S. and inflict more damage than was caused by the Boston Marathon bombing because, in his words, "that was not sufficient," Seigmann said.

Wright told another person online that he was among dozens of Islamic State fighters in the U.S. who were ready to act, Siegmann said. The person Wright was chatting with was secretly working for the FBI and is expected to testify in Wright's trial.

Rovinski pleaded guilty in September to conspiracy charges and faces between 15 and 22 years in prison.

Rovinski, who has cerebral palsy and walks with a limp, took the stand Wednesday and told jurors that during their meeting on the beach Wright told him Geller "deserved to be beheaded" because she insulted Muhammad.

Wright looked down at a table and showed little emotion while the lawyers spoke.

His attorney conceded that many of the things Wright read and said are "upsetting." But Wright never injured anyone and his words alone are not enough to convict him, she said.


Categories: Law Enforcement

California Police Officer Stabbed in the Face; Suspect Dead

Officer.com - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 05:16
The Chula Vista police officer suffered four to five stab wounds, including a puncture under his left eye, a gash across his nose and on the back of his head and a slash on his arm.
Categories: Law Enforcement

California Governor Reverses Decision to Release Cop-Killer

Officer.com - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 05:10
Gov. Jerry Brown overturned a parole board's recommendation to release Hau Chan, who was found guilty of masterminding the armed robbery of a store that led to a shootout with police and left LAPD Officer Duane Johnson dead on Dec. 19, 1984.
Categories: Law Enforcement

Wisconsin Deputy Choked by Homicide Suspect Inside Jail

Officer.com - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 05:05
A deputy was injured Monday night when an inmate choked her in an elevator at the Dane County Jail.
Categories: Law Enforcement

Teacher's Quick Response Saves Lives During School Shooting

Officer.com - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 05:00
Officials praised the quick reaction of a high school teacher who subdued a gun-wielding student inside the Mattoon High School cafeteria after “numerous rounds” were fired Wednesday morning, injuring at least two students.
Categories: Law Enforcement

Teacher's Quick Response Saves Lives During School Shooting

Officer.com - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 05:00
Officials praised the quick reaction of a high school teacher who subdued a gun-wielding student inside the Mattoon High School cafeteria after “numerous rounds” were fired Wednesday morning, injuring at least two students.
Categories: Law Enforcement

Mississippi Deputy Shot With His Own Gun Resigns

Officer.com - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 04:50
A Harrison County deputy whose shooting led to a futile manhunt and no proof to back up his claim has resigned, Sheriff Troy Peterson confirmed Wednesday.
Categories: Law Enforcement

Missing Runaway Juvenile

Sheriff - Hillsboro County (Tampa, FL) - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 04:47
The teen left and has not returned.
Categories: Law Enforcement

St. Louis Police to Get Body Cameras

Officer.com - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 04:45
All St. Louis police officers could be wearing body cameras within 90 days after a contentious and chaotic vote of the St. Louis Board of Estimate and Apportionment Wednesday.
Categories: Law Enforcement

Florida Sheriff's Deputy Accused of Stealing From Suspect

Officer.com - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 04:15
An Orange County Sheriff's deputy who was suspended and arrested on theft charges Tuesday allegedly used stolen credit cards he took from a suspect to buy baby supplies.
Categories: Law Enforcement

Missing Runaway Juvenile

Sheriff - Hillsboro County (Tampa, FL) - Thu, 09/21/2017 - 04:08
Anyone with information is asked to contact HCSO.
Categories: Law Enforcement

Pages

Subscribe to Volunteer Mobile Emergency Response Unit -- rehabsector.org aggregator - Law Enforcement